Sunday 13 March 2011

Dj Pierre





Back in the day when acid was just a tab, DJ Pierre was holed up in his bedroom inventing a sound which would impact on the music scene forever. In 1986, ’acid house’ was in its infancy when DJ Pierre picked up a 303 and the infamous “Acid Tracks” was born.

Not many artists in the history of dance music can list Carl Cox, Diesel (X-Press 2), Junior Vasquez, Danny Tenaglia, Michael Mayer (Kompakt Records), and Tom Stephan as fans. Not many can claim responsibility for helping kick start the careers of Felix Da Housecat and Roy Davis Jr. Not many can lay claim to giving birth to a genre and pioneering a sound that had the whole world dancing and imitating for over fifteen years. DJ/Producer/Remixer, Nathaniel Pierre Jones AKA DJ ‘Wildpitch’ Pierre is a rare breed. An artist who’s considered a mentor to many of the ‘A’ list DJ fraternity, old and new, and one man who continues to stand strong in an industry that’s had its ups ‘n’ downs.

From the days of ‘Phuture’, Pierre’s highly successful guise with fellow squelchers Spanky and Herb J – and their epic release‘Acid Trax’, to his biggest hit ‘The Horn Song’, featuring Barbara Tucker, his solo projects with David Morales, Felix Da Housecat and his stint as Head of A&R at Strictly Rhythm, DJ Pierre is a force to be reckoned with. After a bit of a break to get prepped for the ‘Afro Acid Project’, his very first artist album due for release in January 2006, DJ Pierre is back and ready to show the world just why house music was worth shouting about in the first place.
DJ PIERRE “BOX ENERGY” TRACK

With a new management team behind him, Zoo Management, the company responsible for housing talent such as Masters at Work and Jazzy Jeff, a new deal with stateside distribution ‘King Street Records’ for his very own DJP Records – look out for the next release due out October 24th 2005, ‘Paris Collection feat. Hanna Hais (Feel Sexy)’ – and gig requests from every corner of the globe, including the infamous Mysteryland Tour in Holland, DJ Pierre is firmly back on the map.

“I feel a renewed sense of direction in my career. I’ve never had so many positive things in place at one time like I do now. With Zoo management as my managers, and King Street behind me as the distributor of DJP Records, I can be hands off enough to create and make the music I love. I am very excited about being head of my own label (DJP) and the opportunity to make my first full album due out in January. I am humbled by what’s happening.” – DJ Pierre

DJ Pierre’s ‘Afro Acid Project’ will explore all sorts of styles and sounds, playing homage to his acid roots, whilst showing his innovative perspective on music today. The first track off the album will be a remix of ‘I Followed You’, a classic wild pitch filled track that only Pierre could pull off, containing a sexy hypnotic acid b-line, flashing hats, sultry female vocal whispers and strings so good they’ll have the attention of the hairs on your neck. The original mix of ‘I Followed You’ is out now onResopal.

DJ PIERRE’S TOP 10 CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
• Getting the 303 and making “Acid Tracks’ with Phuture. (1985)

• The night Ron Hardy played “Acid Tracks”. It was the first time we (Phuture) realized we had made something people loved. (1985)

• DJing at Diamond Corps (Lil Louis’s company’s) event at the Bismarck Pavillion in Chicago. I knew at that moment I had arrived as a DJ because of the energy the crowd was giving me. (1986)

• Moving to NY from Chicago. It was a good decision. My career continued because of it. Before I moved, the scene in Chicago was dying, so I took a leap of faith and kept things moving. (1990)

• Having my first hit solo record as DJ Pierre, while creating another signature sound. The creation of the Wild Pitch sound came about with a track called “Generate Power”. It was also my first Strictly Rhythm release. (1990)

• Going to England. It was the first time I had DJ’ed outside of the US. It was the first time I saw just how huge acid and house music was. (1990)

• My A&R debut for Strictly Rhythm Records, signing their biggest vinyl selling hit” Follow Me” by Alyus. It was a project I discovered. (1992)

• Discovering a new trick with the equalizer on a mixing board using it to work the sounds of sampled drum loops. People referred to this later as filtering. As far as I know this technique was first used on a song I did called “Master Blaster”. No one had heard of it before then. People were always asking how I did it. (1994)

• My biggest hit, ”The Horn Song”, featuring Barbara Tucker. Louie Vega (NY) was very instrumental with this song. With this project I discovered how to fit in live musicians with the Wild Pitch sound. (1998)

• My second biggest anthem “Switch 2001″. This song is special because everywhere I went everyone told me how much they loved it. It had a countdown and each time I played, despite location, folks always counted down with the track. Never failed. Dave Morales impacted this song also. I later worked with him on ”Make It Hot”. (2001)

Here's Pierre's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment